Access North Logo Nursing Home Relocation Long-Term Care Consultation
spectacles iconClick for LARGER text

Long-Term Care Consultation

Long-Term Care Consultation is the title that has been given to the Preadmission Screening (PAS) program. It is the first step you must take if you would like to move from a nursing home or other institution in Minnesota.

The purpose of Long-Term Care Consultation, (or LTCC), is to help persons become aware of community-based options and to assist individuals to make an informed choice about where they want to live. During a face-to-face visit with a social worker or nurse, individuals will be able to discuss what they want and receive assistance if they choose to stay in, or move to, the community. This can include Relocation Service Coordination.

Centers for Independent Living will participate on the long-term care consultation team along with the county social worker and public health nurse if asked. This is a really good idea since the legislation requires that the county let the person who wants to leave the institution know what transition services are available. Centers for Independent Living across Minnesota will contract with counties to provide nursing home relocation coordination services.

Legislative Links

To review the Minnesota State statutes for 2017 regarding Long-Term Care Consultation, please use the link below:

To review the Minnesota State statutes for 2017 regarding Targeted Case Management, please use the link below:

County Consultants/Regional Resource Specialists

Each county has identified a Long Term Care Consultant. Contact your county to request a consultation. To access your county's services, please use the link below to access the County and Tribal Information Directory. Next, find your county's or band's listing from the menu at the left-side of the page, and then click on that link.

In addition, there are Regional Resource Specialists at the Minnesota DHS, Disability Services Division that can help you. To locate a Regional Resource Specialist, please call the number below:

(800) 747-5484


If you need someone to advocate for you contact the Center for Independent Living in Your Area.

Use the link below to access our Minnesota CIL Listing page. Find your county on the map. When you click on your county, you will be taken to the homepage of the Center for Independent Living that serves your area:

In addition, the Minnesota Disability Law Center (MDLC) is the designated Protection and Advocacy System for Minnesota and addresses the unique legal needs of Minnesotans with disabilities. MDLC provides free civil legal assistance to individuals with disabilities statewide on legal issues related to their disabilities. All individuals with disabilities are eligible to receive help, regardless of age or income level.

Please use the link below to contact the Minnesota Disability Law Center: